Please call our office at 502-425-3350 if you experience an emergency during normal business hours. We can see you at one of our locations to make you comfortable.
After hours, here are some tricks you can try to help alleviate any discomfort and annoyance.
- Over- the-counter pain medications like you usually take for headaches (Tylenol, Motrin) are helpful
- Sugarless gum (Yes!) can help as a shock absorber and provide some relief
- Cold beverages can help, too, so go ahead and say yes to the milkshake
- Try pushing the wire away from the affected area with an eraser
- Wax is an orthodontic patient’s friend. Remember to dry the area before you apply the wax to help it stick
- ONLY try to cut the wire if you have clean tools and can easily see where to cut the wire. 99% of the time, we prefer to take care of these issues in the office
The bracket is no longer attached to the tooth and is moving
- SAVE THE BRACKET and call us so we can schedule a time for you to come in for a repair. Even if it is the day of your regular appointment, call us so we can be prepared for you
Broken or Loose Appliances
- Call us
- As a general rule of thumb, anything that falls out of your mouth, KEEP IT and call us
- Push the appliance back down on the tooth and bite (if it is not painful) and the appliance may re-seat until we can see you
- This is NOT an emergency
- If the wire comes out as a result, and you are in pain, give us a call
If it’s after hours and you have a TRUE emergency, please give our office a call at 502-425-3350 and follow the after-hours emergency line instructions.